Friday, January 25, 2008

After coming thisclose, Favre should (finally) hang up the cleats
By Adam Krebs
of The Lakeland Times


Rummaging through the WisSports.net message boards this past weekend, I read in Packer agony about last weeks’ loss and (gasp) the possibility of Brett Favre retiring.
----------
jake53098 said: “He cant go out like that ”

My short response: “And neither could Dan Marino after a 62-7 stomping from Jacksonville...”
----------
I’ve wanted Favre to retire since 2003 (my Packer distaste is well documented in the blogosphere), but this year he proved that he might have something left – besides, he and Derek Anderson carried my fantasy team to second place in my league with other sportswriters from the midwest.
Back to Favre (I still wonder how it is pronounced with the “r” before the “v”) – Brett hadn’t been the “same” since the Dallas game. The first few weeks of the season, No. 4 looked like the MVP of old, but after a funny-bone bruise and a banged up shoulder, he looked...normal.
Next year, at 39, will he be able to do the same things as he did this year at 38?
Many in Packer country would like to think so, but I’m more skeptical now than ever.
I’ve thought for the last 3-4 years now that if Favre is going to last in this league, he would have to learn to be a true pocket quarterback and take what’s given to him and not to force the ball into covered receivers. He did that for the most part this year.
Against New York though, with nearly the game on the line, his last shot at taking his team to the promised land, Favre was rushed and threw it into... triple coverage. Interception.
A worthwhile ending mark for one of the 10 best QB’s of all time? I would argue so. Hey, he might as well have thrown an interception on his last throw as much as he should have thrown a touchdown – two things that he holds records for.
But for much of the season, he was the renaissance man. He looked good. He looked young. Most of all, he looked like the ego was put aside. Granted, many a Packer fan doesn’t realize his ego, because they were too busy waiting to see a smile.
But does he have one more year left in the tank? I think so. Two? Possibly. But not to the same degree as he had this year.
I think he may have one of those “stuck-around-one-year-to-long” swan songs like Dan Marino, Joe Montana, and Jim Kelly all had.
Not everyone can finish a career like John Elway did, and I wouldn’t bank on Favre coming any closer next year than he did this year.
This is the NFL, where every team is systematically built by the NFL to finish 8-8. Those who produce better and have better coaching will likely have a better season than the rest.
Last year, Bears fans were thinking they’d be right back. Rex Grossman would get better they said. Cedric Benson could carry the load. The defense wouldn’t get hurt this time. Tank Johnson wouldn’t get into trouble. And Lovie Smith would continue coaching like Parcells/Gibbs/Walsh.
I know that’s what they were thinking, I lived there (Illinois) throughout the entire year, and into the offseason.
Unfortunately for my former neighbors from the south, the Bears season that never was never happen.
You can’t bank on anything in the NFL.
Who’s to say Ryan Grant doesn’t fall apart next year, and the other running backs produce like they did through the first eight games of this season?
Who’s to say that all the receivers continue their stellar play? Who’s to say the defense will not get hurt and Atari Bigby or nick Barnett won’t beat up a stripper or bar patron in the offseason, or that anyone on the team won’t pull a gat out at someone who dissed their street cred?
You can’t bank on anything in the NFL.
For that, I would tell Brett Favre to walk away from the game. He surpassed all the records he set out for. He got his young and talented team back to the NFC championship game. He turned everyone's heads with his stellar play, and the great play of his team. This was (nearly) the perfect season for him to walk out on.
Two years ago this team won four games. Last season eight games. This season 14. In the NFL, they could become an eight-win team again, and then a four-win team.
After only five losing seasons in a 41 year history, the Dolphins just went 1-15. Yeah, anything can happen in today’s NFL.
Favre has earned the respect from everyone in the game. His smile and competitiveness are that of champions. He doesn’t need to stick around too long like Marino, Montana, Michael Jordan, or the other heroes of yesteryear did.
Favre got thisclose to a third trip at a Super Bowl. Some of the greats never get more than one shot.
He’s done what he set out to do. Along with Barry Alvarez of the Wisconsin Badgers, Favre and Bucky have turned football back into Wisconsin’s sport – and rightfully so. His work here is done.
I say walk away.
Adam Krebs can be reached at akrebs@lakelandtimes.com.

2 Comments:

At 11:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Krebs, I always hate whatever you have to say about Favre... but I kind of agree. These knuckle heads that fall for the same thing the Bears fans did are blind. I love my Packers, but lets be realistic here people. We had a relatively healthy team this year. And who says that one of our guys doesn't go off and get into legal trouble. I think Brett reached as far as he is going to with this team. I don't blame him one bit if he decides to come back, but I just don't see the success.

I think the OT was a good example of what happens when Brett tries to do too much. I hang a lot of the loss on Coaching for that game. The offensive game plan, I felt, was terrible. The idea that we needed to run 20 yard routes was a head scratcher. But off my soap box.

Brett Favre has contributed so much to the Green Bay Packers. I really would HATE to see him suffer a ending like so many that stay around too long do. Plus I got to watch Brett play in Beau and down in ST.Louis so I am satisfied. (By the way Krebs, I believe Stephen Jackson is one of my favorite players. Classy man!) In closing, Brett... you came... we saw... you conquered... end on top!!! Hope the family is good Krebby!

 
At 11:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Flores Online, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://flores-on-line.blogspot.com. A hug.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home